Suffering with anxiety, it can be difficult to think positively about yourself. All you notice are things about yourself that you wish you could change, or focus on something negative on yourself that someone once mentioned. You’re then stuck in a loop of low self esteem due to focusing on the negatives. But what if we embraced the quirks that we have?
We Are Often Too Embarrassed To Be Ourselves.
Too often, those with anxiety and depression are too afraid to be themselves through fear of judgement and not feeling good enough. Those that suffer with self esteem issues find themselves embarrassed and afraid to be open and their true selves to the outside world.
We all have unique and individual personalities that we should embrace. But we are fearful of social rejection and being ridiculed, so we hide away the characteristics that make us truly ourself.
How to embrace your quirks.
Start by writing a list of your quirks. I’ll list mine now to show you my example.
- I have a habit of tapping my feet and wriggling my toes when I’m watching TV.
- I love getting absorbed into any Ant and Dec programmes.
- I get a bit soppy at times, so I often get excited at the lead up to Christmas and emotional when Christmas is over. I’m also always worrying and sweating over the small stuff.
- I write endless lists about everything. I love list making.
- Wanting things at home to have their own home.
- My obsession with PJS. I will never own enough.
- The youth in me still, over things such as unicorns and mermaids.
- My daft moments. Like when I thought slugs were a poor mans snail, only they didn’t have a ‘house’.
- Enjoying the small ‘simple’ things in life, like the seasonal menus at Costa, or when I’m A Celeb starts back on TV.
When you’ve got your list, focus on each one of these everyday for the next few weeks. Tell people about it. Embrace each quirk and show the world the real you without fear of embarrassment. It will be difficult to begin with, but over time you will start to feel confidence.
They say with confidence, that youve got to fake it till you make it.
Don’t Shy Away From Who You Are
Your individual quirks and personality traits defines who you are. Don’t shy away from who you are.
Your anxiety and depression may make you feel worthless, self conscious and make you question yourself. You may feel embarrassed and have low self esteem, but the only way to build it up is to start to embrace your true self. You have to fake your confidence until you start to believe in yourself.
By writing your list of quirks, focusing on each one everyday, you will start to boost your confidence and be able to embrace your confidence.
For more helpful articles that can help boost your self esteem and tackle anxiety, try reading 14 Ideas on How to Make Your Spirit Feel Free and Boost Your Self Esteem With This Simple Challenge.
Try The Self Esteem Workbook For Women to help work through ways to boost your self esteem.
This Good Vibes, Good Life book is great at exploring how self-love is the key to unlocking your greatness.
This article may contain affiliate links, if clicked and an item is purchased, it will not cost you anything extra. However, it will mean I get a small bit of commission to help with the running of this blog.